Allan is a trusted primary advisor to many top franchisors, with more than three decades practising law in the franchising, licensing and distribution industry. He is recognized as one of Canada’s leading franchise litigators and has extensive experience at every level of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada as well as before national and international arbitration tribunals. Allan regularly provides expert opinions to other counsel. As a trademark agent, Allan also handles trademark litigation and opposition matters. Clients know him for his ability to consistently execute the best strategies for litigating disputes in a way that aligns with their business interests. Allan was an original member of the Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Section and its predecessors and served as its Chair.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1982
Registered Trade Mark Agent
More About Allan Dick
- Franchise, Licensing and Distribution Litigation and Arbitration
- Franchisor Advisory – Focus on restaurants, automotive, professional services, personal services, and home services
- International Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- Franchisee Association and Group Litigation
- Employment, Insurance, Construction, and General Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Trademarks and Intellectual Property Litigation and Arbitration
- Telecommunications Litigation
- Sector Leader – Restaurant Services
- Ranked in Band 1 by Chambers Canada – Franchising (2017 – 2023)
- Consistently listed in Best Lawyers in Canada – Franchise Law (2006 – 2023)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Canada – Corporate and Commercial Litigation (2022)
- Listed as “Lawyer of the Year – 2020” by Best Lawyers in Canada
- Recognized in Best Lawyers Global Business Edition (2016 – 2021)
- Listed as “Most Frequently Recommended” in Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory – Franchise (1997 – 2022)
- Listed as Leading Litigation Lawyer in LEXPERT Special Edition – Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers (2020 – 2021)
- Listed in Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada: Corporate (2015 – 2017)
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal National Guide: Canada Franchise (2011 – 2021)
- Listed as “Most Highly Regarded – 2017” by Who’s Who Legal National Guide: Canada Franchise
- Listed as “Global Elite Thought Leader – (2022) by Who’s Who Legal Global Guide: Franchise
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal Global Guide – Franchise (2011 – 2022)
- Inducted into the “Hall of Fame – 2022” by Franchise Times Magazine
- Named “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times Magazine (2008 – 2022)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association – Forum on Franchising
- International Bar Association
- International Distribution Institute
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
- American Association of Justice
- Canadian Corporate Counsel Association
- Executive Committee Member (2010-2019) and Past Chair (2010-2012), Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Section
- Vice-chair, Ontario Bar Association Joint Sub-Committee on Franchising (2008-2010)
- Executive member, Ontario Bar Association Joint Sub-Committee on Franchising (Since inception-2008)
- “Looking before you leap can be hugely beneficial in the long-run“, Global Franchise Magazine, May 3, 2022.
- “The new Canadian trademarks regime presents a host of opportunities and challenges“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, April 27, 2022.
- Speaker, “Funding and legal strategies for multi-unit growth“, Global Franchise Podcast – Multi-Unit Month, April 11, 2022.
- “An endemic can impact land-control decisions for restaurant operators“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, March 9, 2022.
- “Tokyo Smoke and the threshold required to establish bad faith“, Global Franchise Magazine, January 31, 2022.
- “What you need to know and do to be a successful franchisee“, Canadian Business Franchise, November 2021, Page 34.
- “Re-Imaging the Restaurant Experience for 2022”, 2021 Canadian Chain Restaurant Industry Review.
- “Team Effort: The Value of Franchisor Advisory Boards“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, March 2021, Page 27.
- Speaker – Franchisor Advisory Boards, Franchisee Advisory Boards, and Franchisee Associations, Canadian Franchise Association, February 3, 2021
- “Demystifying the Legalities of Ghost Kitchens and Virtual Restaurants“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, September 2020, Page 10.
- “Operators Must Ensure Their COVID-19-Related Losses are Insured“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, July 2020, Page 29.
- “Employment Rules in Uncertain Times“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, June 2020, Page 31.
- “Action Plan: Crisis-Management Tips for the Hospitality Industry“, Foodservice and Hospitality Magazine, May 2020, Page 9.
- You are not alone in a default – Third party interests in commercial leases, Canadian Law Conference of The International Council of Shopping Centers, April 2016
- Panelist – Canadian Restaurant Investment Summit, April 2015
- Plenary Panelist – “Pros and Cons of Arbitration in Franchising”, Ontario Bar Association 14th Annual Franchise Law Conference, November 18, 2014
- Roundtable Facilitator – “Alternative Dispute Resolution”, CFA 2014 National Convention, April 7, 2014
- Franchisee Dissatisfaction: What is counsel’s game plan? The Franchise Voice, Summer 2013
- Roundtable Facilitator – “Discretion – Its Place in the Franchise Relationship”, Ontario Bar Association 12th Annual Franchise Law Conference: For Better or For Worse: Franchise Relationships over the Long Term, November 6, 2012
- Co-chair, Canadian Bar Association Franchise Law Program, August 14, 2012
- Speaker, Canadian Franchise Association Law Day, February 2, 2012
- The Annual Legal Update, with David Altshuller, Ontario Bar Association 11th Annual Franchise Law Conference, November, 2011
- Supreme Court of Canada decision in Seidel v. Telus: What does this mean for Franchising? (Webinar), with Jennifer Dolman, CBA Webinar Series, June 27, 2011
- The Unique Aspects of Advising Franchisee Clients, with Daniel F. So, Ontario Bar Association Institute, February 3, 2011
- Individual to Group to Class Disputes in Franchising – Considerations for Resolution, Ontario Bar Association 10th Annual Franchise Law Conference, November 2010
- The Implications of the Quizno’s Court of Appeal Decision on Your Franchise System (webinar), Canadian Franchise Association, July 29, 2010
- Franchise Class Actions in Canada: Informing Practice and Business, Franchise Law Journal, ABA Forum on Franchising, 2010
- The Latest Word on Rescission (workshop), Canadian Franchise Association “Legal Day”, March 2, 2010
- Plenary – Annual Legal Update: My Top Five Picks from 2009 (plenary session), OBA 9th Annual Franchise Law Conference, October 14, 2009
- Major issues that keep franchise counsel up at night, OBA 8th Annual Franchise Law Conference, 2008
- Conference, Lorman Education Services, Canadian Franchise Association, Law Society Of Ontario, American Corporate Counsel Association and Young Entrepreneurs Association Of Ontario
- Managing Income Trusts in a Franchised Business Model: Keeping an Eye on the Duty of Good Faith and Positive Franchisee Relations, Canadian Franchise Review, March 2006
- Regularly contributes to industry and professional publications including the ABA Forum on Franchising, Franchise Law Journal, Insight, and Corporate Counsel Magazine
- Regular presenter at conferences for such organizations as Ontario Bar Association (Co-Chair 2007 OBA Annual Franchise Law Conference), American Bar Association, International Travel Insurance
It is a privilege to be able to serve clients who entrust their matters to me and our firm. It is my personal goal to achieve the status of trusted advisor to owners of franchise systems. I strive to earn that trust daily and to make meaningful contributions to the success of the business and its principals. As co-managing partner of our firm, it is important that I provide the leadership necessary to ensure our firm remains the pre-eminent firm servicing the franchising industry. Our clients can be assured of my commitment to hiring the best talents who are happily dedicated to providing the highest levels of service standards.