Azzam is an associate in our litigation department. Before joining Sotos, he articled at an international full-service law firm in Toronto.
Azzam is called to the Bar in three jurisdictions across three continents. He has previously served as a law clerk at the Supreme Court of Pakistan and as a consultant lawyer at the Office of the Attorney General for Pakistan. As a member of the international disputes group, Azzam acted as counsel for Pakistan in numerous international arbitrations, both investment and commercial. He also represented Pakistan at the UNCITRAL negotiations on investor-state dispute settlement reform.
Prior to that, Azzam gained significant legal experience in private practice and taught comparative constitutional law as an adjunct lecturer at a public research university.
He is fluent in Urdu and Punjabi.
England & Wales, 2014 (non-practising)
GPLLM, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, 2021
Postgraduate Diploma in Bar Professional Studies, The University of Law, 2014
LLB (Hons), University of Sussex, 2013
More About Azzam Cheema
- International Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- CASL Compliance
- Contests and Advertising
- Franchisor services – All Sectors
- Franchise, Licensing and Distribution Litigation and Arbitration
- Franchisee Association and Group Litigation
- Employment, Insurance, Construction, and General Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Trademarks and Intellectual Property Litigation and Arbitration
- Telecommunication Litigation
- Class Actions
- Automotive Manufacturers and Dealer Arbitration (NADAP)
- Competition and Price Fixing
- General Commercial Litigation
- Employment and Labor Litigation and Arbitration
- Regulatory Litigation
- Privacy Litigation
- Consumer Protection Litigation
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Canadian Muslim Lawyers Association
- South Asian Bar Association
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Islamabad Bar Council
- Islamabad High Court Bar Association
My broad-based international experience allows me to contribute by bringing uniquely diverse perspectives to consideration. In addition to my work, I enjoy traveling, going for hikes, and trying out new cuisines.