Daniel’s practice focuses on the franchising, licensing and distribution industry. He applies his extensive knowledge of the industry to formulate and implement effective dispute resolution strategies through litigation, mediation, arbitration or negotiations. Daniel joined Sotos in 2016, after advancing as an associate at a leading national firm. He has experience managing an active caseload of complex commercial disputes in a variety of sectors that includes healthcare, hospitality and home services. Daniel has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, as well as before the Supreme Court of Canada in a case that was significant to the development of Canadian consumer law.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2014
B.A., University of Victoria (Distinction), 2011
More About Daniel Hamson
- Franchise, Licensing and Distribution Litigation and Arbitration
- Franchisee Association and Group Litigation
- Employment, Insurance, Construction, and General Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Trademarks and Intellectual Property Litigation and Arbitration
- Telecommunications Litigation
- Listed as “Leading Lawyers to Watch” in the Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory – Franchise (2022 – 2023)
- Listed as Leading Litigation Lawyer in LEXPERT Special Edition – Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers (2022)
- Named “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times Magazine (2020 – 2023)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- Speaker, “Disclosure Discussion: Disclosing in the New World” – Canadian Franchise Association Law Day, September 23, 2022.
- Speaker, “Ten Things to Look for in a Franchisor”, Canadian Franchise Association – Franchise Canada Show, Toronto, ON, February 23, 2020.
- Speaker, “Ten Things to Look for in a Franchisor”, Canadian Franchise Association – Franchise Canada Show, Toronto, ON, October 14, 2018.
I volunteer as duty counsel for Pro Bono Law Ontario and sit on the Board of Regeneration Community Services, a not-for-profit organization that supports people with mental health and addiction challenges. Originally from British Columbia, I moved to Toronto in 2011 to study law. I am an avid traveller, an enthusiastic, albeit novice squash player, and enjoy spending time with friends, family and my dog.