Jason is the leader of our Personal Services practice area. He spent his initial years practicing law in the New York and Toronto offices of a top New York-based global law firm. At Sotos, Jason applies his experience as a New York state-qualified and practising lawyer and as an Ontario licensed lawyer to advise entrepreneurs and businesses on all matters involving cross-border franchising, licensing and distribution and related structuring. His practice focuses on the acquisition and sale of franchise systems, franchise system development and all aspects of starting and operating a franchise, including the preparation of franchise disclosure and related commercial agreements as well as the importing and exporting of franchise systems. Jason is also regularly involved in the development of data sharing and technology-related agreements for a wide range of businesses.
New York, Third Department, 2017
J.D., University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, 2016
Hon. B.A. (with high distinction), University of Toronto, 2013
More About Jason Brisebois
- Sector Leader – Personal Services
- Franchisor Services – Focus on automotive, restaurants, and professional services
- International Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- Private Equity Financing and Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate / Commercial and Finance
- Franchisee Services
Named “Legal Eagle” by Franchise Times Magazine (2020 – 2022)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association – Forum on Franchising
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- Member-at-Large, Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Section (2020-2021)
- Speaker – “Canadian Franchising in the Post-Covid World”, Mondaq Webinar, May 5, 2022.
- Speaker, “Shining a Legal Light on “Dark Kitchens”, Canadian Franchise Association – 2022 National Convention, April 11, 2022.
- Co-author – “Franchise & Licensing in Canada“, The Legal 500 Comparative Guide, 2021.
- Penalty Clauses And Liquidated Damages Provisions In Franchise Agreements, Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Section, January 2021.
- Exploring The Intersection Of Privacy Law And Franchise Law, the 19th Annual Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Conference – Franchising 2020: Franchising During Turbulent Times, November 2020.
- The Impact Of Private Equity On The Franchising Industry, the 19th Annual Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Conference – Franchising 2020: Franchising During Turbulent Times, November 2020.
- Speaker, “VIP Panel”, Canadian Franchise Association – Franchise Canada Show, Toronto, ON, February 23, 2020.
- Looking ahead: Succession planning for your dealership, Canadian AutoWorld, January 2020
- Keep your distance! Navigating New Dealer Points and Relocated Dealerships, Canadian AutoWorld, November 2019
- Automobile Dealers and Privacy Law, Canadian AutoWorld, August 2019
- Speaker, “Ten Things to Look for in a Franchisor”, Canadian Franchise Association – Franchise Canada Show, Toronto, ON, February 23, 2019.
- Speaker, “Ten Things to Look for in a Franchisor”, Canadian Franchise Association – Franchise Canada Show, Toronto, ON, October 13, 2018.
I’m committed to providing franchisors of all sizes with legal advice tailored to their needs. Through my experience practicing in both Canada and the United States, including-advising clients on complex cross-border transactions and franchising, I offer unique and multifaceted ways of approaching modern legal problems.
When I’m not working, I’m an avid skier, golfer, and hockey fan.