Liisa is a seasoned lawyer, having practised commercial law for over 30 years. She has earned a strong reputation for her expertise in franchising, licensing and distribution law, especially in the grocery sector. Liisa started her career at Sotos LLP. Subsequently, she developed international experience and honed her skills at a major full-service law firm, followed by her long-term position as Vice President of Legal Affairs for Canada’s largest grocery and pharmacy retailer. Liisa has now returned to where her franchising practice began, re-joining Sotos LLP as a partner.
Throughout her career, Liisa has worked closely with business leaders to deliver impactful, practical guidance in all phases of franchise development. From structuring new systems to implementing changes in evolving systems and navigating conflicts, Liisa has provided sound guidance to assist her clients reach optimal results. With extensive experience in grocery retailing, distribution and manufacturing, Liisa is a leading expert in all aspects of the grocery sector including operations, regulatory compliance, corporate social responsibility and business transactions spanning multiple banners and business sectors. Liisa brings her longstanding acumen as trusted corporate counsel back to private practice, to impart her invaluable experience to our firm’s clients.
Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales
LLM Osgoode Hall Law School (International Trade and Competition Law), 2005
LLB Osgoode Hall Law School, 1988
More About Liisa Kaarid
- Franchisor Services – All Sectors with a focus on grocery, hotels, and restaurants
- International Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- Trade Associations
- Corporate / Commercial, Mergers and Acquisitions, Finance, and Succession Planning
- Board Governance
- Sector Leader – Grocery Retailing, Distribution and Manufacturing
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- Past co-chair of the Ontario Bar Association’s (OBA) Annual Franchise Law Conference and Canadian Franchise Association Legal Symposium.
- Speaker – “Using Item 19 To Convey Your Recovery”, Springboard Event for Emerging Franchisors, Philadelphia, PA, September 26-28, 2021
- Frequent speaker and author on franchising and commercial law, including at the University of Toronto Law School, Osgoode Hall Law School, Conestoga College, OBA annual Franchise Law Conference and Institutes, National Post, Canadian International Lawyer, Canadian Franchise Review and Franchise Canada
- PECB ISO 19600 Lead Compliance Manager
I love practising franchise law because it combines legal expertise with the practicality, creativity and pace of business. My approach is to truly understand the client’s strategic, personal and business needs first. This ‘bigger picture’ helps to avoid the risks that matter – and to work out the most effective solutions together, when issues arise. I do my utmost to deliver timely, business-friendly guidance, to add real value in achieving my clients’ goals.