Marta is the team leader for our firm’s cannabis practice and is recognized as a pioneering thought leader in the country’s burgeoning cannabis industry. In addition to advising clients on the cultivation and retail distribution of medical and recreational cannabis, Marta provides regulatory and business advice to various industry stakeholders, including licensed producers, micro-cultivators, retail operators, and aspiring cannabis entrepreneurs. Marta is a board member of Niche Canada, dedicated to developing public policy and research to assist governments and communities with managing the legalization of cannabis in Canada. Marta is also active in our grocery and restaurant sectors, reviewing and preparing disclosure documents and franchise agreements and advising on commercial leasing, intellectual property, privacy, consumer protection, advertising and anti-SPAM matters. Marta acts on the transfers of franchised businesses and the sales of systems. Marta is proficient in French and Spanish.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2014
B.I.B. (Highest Honours), Carleton University, 2007
More About Marta James
- Cannabis – Cultivation and Retail Distribution
- Franchisor Services – Focus on grocery, restaurants, and retail
- Corporate / Commercial
- International Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- Intellectual Property – Copyright and Trademarks
- CASL Compliance
- Sector Leader – Cannabis
- Executive Member – Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Section.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- American Bar Association
- Moderator – “Key Considerations for Franchisors in Selecting Insurance Policies”, CFA Franchise Law Day, Toronto, Ontario, September 22, 2016
I am inspired by entrepreneurs and I strive to protect their brands and facilitate their growth. In times of rapid technological change, I am passionate about working efficiently with clients to achieve their goals in the most valuable and productive way.