Marta is the sector leader for our firm’s cannabis practice and is recognized as a thought leader in the burgeoning cannabis industry. In addition to advising clients on the cultivation and retail distribution of medicinal and recreational cannabis, Marta provides regulatory advice to various industry stakeholders, including brand owners, licensed producers, micro-cultivators, retail operators, and cannabis entrepreneurs. Marta stays current on municipal, provincial, and federal legal developments as they relate to cannabis. She is a board member of Niche Canada, a non-profit organization dedicated to developing research to assist with managing the legalization of cannabis in Canada. Marta is also active in our grocery and restaurant sectors, with a focus on franchising, licensing and distribution. She advises on the review and preparation of disclosure documents and franchise agreements as well as on intellectual property, privacy, and advertising laws. Marta has experience negotiating purchase and sale transactions for businesses in various industries. She is proficient in French and Spanish.
J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2014
Graduate Certificate, Global Affairs, New York University, 2010
B.I.B. (Highest Honours), Carleton University, 2007
More About Marta James
- Cannabis – Cultivation and Retail Distribution
- Franchisor Services – Focus on grocery, restaurants, and retail
- Corporate / Commercial
- International Franchising, Licensing and Distribution
- Intellectual Property – Copyright and Trademarks
- CASL Compliance
- Sector Leader – Cannabis
- Executive Member – Ontario Bar Association Franchise Law Section.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Franchise Association
- International Franchise Association
- American Bar Association
- Moderator – “Key Considerations for Franchisors in Selecting Insurance Policies”, CFA Franchise Law Day, Toronto, Ontario, September 22, 2016
I am inspired by entrepreneurs and I strive to protect their brands and facilitate their growth. In times of rapid technological change, I am passionate about working efficiently with clients to achieve their goals in the most valuable and productive way.